How to Access Data
Unless you are producing or gathering new data yourself, the data you want probably resides in some system of the University. To access data in an existing system, you will need to follow the access control method established for that system. Depending on the kinds and classification tiers of the information you need, you may need specific permission granted to be authorized access to each system.
When requesting data access, the gatekeepers for a system may need to do determine some or all of the following:
- your business need
- the appropriateness of your proposed use
- the information needed to provide technical access such as:
- an account,
- a data feed,
- a file,
- your Onyen, or
- another one-time or ongoing access method.
Knowing who to ask and being able to describe your need can speed up handling of your access requests.
The following systems at the University have established access request procedures in place:
- ConnectCarolina and related Enterprise systems
- Legacy Systems (Most of the systems in this list were replaced by ConnectCarolina and its companion systems.)
- Carolina Data Warehouse for Health (CDW-H) through NCTraCS.
- Access to some University reporting systems can be requested through the Enterprise Reporting, Analytics, and Data category of help.unc.edu.