Data Governance Overview
Ensuring that University data is both protected and made available to people who need it is a massive undertaking. Depending on your need, you may need to consult:
- a compliance unit,
- the Data Governance Oversight Group (DGOG),
- a subject matter expert, or
- the person or group responsible for the system or service where the data resides.
The University also has guidance in place to help anyone affiliated with the University, but primarily faculty and staff, understand the requirements of the data in their care so that they’re empowered to make decisions at the individual or unit levels as much as possible. However, some data uses always require reviews. This section can help you understand the various places on campus that take requests related to using data. If you hit a wall, the DGOG can help you figure out what’s needed.
- The Enterprise Data Coordinating Committee (EDCC) provides guidance for managing and protecting University data.
- The Data Governance Oversight Group (DGOG) has data stewardship responsibility and can connect you with specific campus resources.
- The Information Security Office (ISO) provides risk assessments for applications and services that impact University data.
- CERTIFI oversees all purchasing card (PCI) data use, systems, and processes.
- The Export Controls Officer oversees compliance with International Traffic and Arms Relations (ITAR) and other laws affecting data export compliance.
- The Public Records Office assists with requests from the public for University records.
- The University Archives and Records Management Services Office provides guidance on required retention and disposition of University data.
- The Institutional Privacy Office supports compliant practices with information addressed by HIPAA, identity theft, and other regulatory frameworks.
- UNC’s Research Compliance Program has a number of areas of guidance and data stewardship for researchers.
- The Digital Accessibility Office supports the University in making our information as universally accessible and usable as possible.
- The Finance & Operations Internal Controls Office has resources and services available, including an excellent newsletter covering many data governance topics.